I’ve made this salad a few times for friends and family and it is always a big hit. People I thought would balk at “rabbit food”or the use of a Bondi hipster super food absolutely loved it. I made it recently for my Dad who is visiting from overseas and he loved it so much he has requested it again before he goes, and is already pondering where to get quinoa. He actually described it as magnificent!
The quantities are not exact, but are my best guess. Adjust to suit your own tastes.
- 1 cup white quinoa
- ¼ cup dry white wine, plus an additional 250ml.
- ¾ cup water
- 1 cup chopped baby spinach leaves
- ½ bunch chopped mint
- ½ pomegranate
- ½ cup dried cherries
- ½ cup pistachio kernels
- 4 rashers extra smoky bacon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Juice of half an orange
- 1 tablespoon of dijon mustard
- 1 small clove crushed garlic
What to do!
- Rinse and drain quinoa.
- Add to saucepan with 1/4 cup of the dry white wine and water. Bring to simmer over low heat and cover, cooking for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stand for 10 minutes. Fluff quinoa and allow to cool.
- Place rashers of bacon on a tray in a moderate oven until crispy. Allow to cool then break into small pieces.
- Pour additional 250ml wine into a glass. Take a sip. Repeat periodically until gone.
- Combine quinoa with baby spinach leaves and mint. Add half of the pomegranate, cherries and pistachio kernels. Mix through.
- I like to serve it on a long flat plate as I think this looks nice so spread the mixed ingredients onto a plate (or put in a bowl).
- Sprinkle the remaining pomegranate, cherries, pistachios and bacon across the top of the quinoa mixture.
- Make a dressing out of olive oil, red wine vinegar, mustard, orange juice and garlic. Adjust this to your taste. I like it quite vinegary but you might like it less acidic.