Eating less meat doesn’t have to mean boring. There are so many delicious vegetarian meals, you just need to be a bit more creative (not that corn fritters are very creative, they are a staple in almost any Australian cafe). But they are delicious and perfect for a quick home made dinner. Try my version below.
- 1 large zucchini, shredded
- Sea salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 small onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely diced
- 2 ears corn, kernels cut off
- 1/4 cup cornflour
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- Olive oil, for frying
- Mix the zucchini with 1/2 teaspoon salt in a bowl; let stand 10-15 minutes. Wrap the zucchini in a clean tea towel and squeeze dry.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter in a large frypan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic. Cook until onion is transparent. Add the corn and cook for a further 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Combine the cornflour, plain flour, baking soda, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl. Whisk the buttermilk and egg in a large bowl, then stir in the corn mixture and zucchini. Add the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large frypan over medium heat. Add batter to make your desired sized fritters and cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt.
- Serve with whatever toppings you like…. I used avocado and tomato relish with a tiny bit of goats cheese.